I love apple pie. And I make a pretty darn good one. But, I’m always so conflicted when it comes to dessert at Thanksgiving. I have to have apple pie, but then I really want pumpkin pie too. I end up filling my plate with both desserts, even though I just got done stuffing my face with a plate…or two…or four of Thanksgiving dinner. The result is barely eaten desserts and a super full tummy.
Not the case anymore with these low-sugar, keto-friendly pumpkin pie balls! I am definitely taking these to Thanksgiving dinner this year. That way, I can have the few bites of pumpkin pie that I really want, but save room for the ENTIRE piece of apple pie. Yes! Crisis solved.
These balls are so good, so easy, so festive, and so….healthy! Each ball has a serving of energizing, satiating fat and less than 2 grams of natural sugar from raw honey. Not to mention the wonderful vitamins and minerals in pumpkin. While this will definitely pass as a dessert, it would also make a perfect midday snack or pre-workout energizer.
GET YOUR HEALTHY FATS IN
One of the questions I get most often as a nutritionist specializing in a high-fat, low-carb keto diet is how to increase healthy fats enough to get into ketosis without resorting to spoonfuls of butter or coconut oil. These pumpkin pie balls are always my answer. With a base of coconut, you’ll get the healthy fats you need for your keto diet, but in a dessert-like package.
YOUR WHOLE FAMILY WILL LOVE
The best part? The whole family will love these! Give them to the kids for dessert or a midday snack. And, be sure to bring them to your next office party, family gathering, or girls’ night. They make a perfect dish to pass, especially during pumpkin season.
Alright, let’s get cooking…or, rolling, I guess we should say!
Pumpkin Pie Balls
- 1/4 cup coconut manna or butter
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut unsweetened
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- 1 tablespoon raw honey OR 10-15 drops liquid organic stevia
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg omit for AIP
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon all spice omit for AIP
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Place coating ingredients in small bowl, mix well and set aside.
- Place all ingredients for balls into food processor.
- If you do not have a food processor, mix by hand.
- Mix until a smooth dough forms.
- Roll into 1-inch sized balls.
- Immediately roll balls through coating mixture until evenly coated.
- Arrange balls on plate.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Omit the coconut oil and use remaining ingredients as a Pumpkin Pie Spread!