Keto Citrus Avocado Slaw
Does anybody else have the warm-weather bug right now? Summer is in the air, and I am itching for it big time! We had our first few days of spring temps this week, and my food cravings immediately shifted. Gone are the days of soups, stews, and stir-frys to warm me. Hello, salads, slaws, and grilling!
So, I went through my mental Rolodex of summer recipes and got busy in the kitchen. First up, my absolute favorite summer side dish, this Citrus Avocado Slaw. (Let’s not talk about the fact that while I was whipping up this slaw, it was cold and snowy.) I created the slaw many years ago, and it’s been a staple ever since. This time around, I realized I had made some tweaks over the years to perfect it and never shared the changes. And, I’d never shared this incredible easy low-carb recipe with my keto friends. Time to change that!
This Citrus Avocado Slaw is excellent for so many reasons. It’s the perfect side dish to make for friends and family, even if they’re not keto or paleo. They will never know! Not only can it be a side dish, but you can also use it as a topping for tacos, fajitas, salads, veggie bowls, you name it. And, it makes for great leftovers the next day. (Eat it within a few days to avoid a brown avocado mess.) Plus, it’s so easy and quick to whip up for a last-minute dinner idea.
As many of you know from my chats with you on the Keto For Women Show, I’m not a fan of sugar-free sweeteners like erythritol, xylitol, even stevia. I think these products are WAY over-used in the keto community without any of us knowing the long-term side effects.
Because of this, I much prefer using small amounts of natural sweetness that comes from real food. This Citrus Avocado Slaw is the perfect example of this. Using a little bit of juice from fresh citrus fruits gives you fantastic flavor with just a touch of sweetness, while still also providing critical nutrients that processed sweeteners don’t have.
I say this because I’m seeing a lot of people following a keto diet who are afraid of fruit. They would see this recipe and never make it because it calls for an orange. For the vast majority of those following a keto diet, this small carbohydrate amount won’t have any impact on their blood sugar. But, the nutrients provided will be of enormous benefit to increase their health status.
Alright, time for you to feel the summer vibes with this slaw!
Citrus Avocado Slaw
- 1/2 small head green cabbage
- 1/2 small head purple cabbage
- 2 cups shredded carrot (about 2 large carrots)
- 2 cups shredded zucchini (about 2 small zucchini)
- 1 large avocado
- 1 orange, juiced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ginger powder
- Finely chop cabbage and place in a large bowl.
- Shred carrots and zucchini and add to bowl.
- In a medium bowl, combine pitted and peeled avocado, juice of the orange, juice of the lemon, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, water, ginger powder, and 1/4 teaspoon sea salt.
- Use an immersion blender and blend until smooth and creamy. (You can also use a regular blender!)
- Add dressing to vegetable mixture and toss until evenly coated.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.