We have another awesome Keto Hot Seat episode for you and Kristin is back to co-host the show with me! Let’s dive into some hot topics in the keto community and answers to questions that you guys are really wanting to know about.
Keto Hot Seat Questions Answered in This Episode:
- Does being on keto for a long time cause insulin resistance?
- How can you have a low glycemic response and find the right amount of carbs when following the keto lifestyle?
- How can you lose fat without losing muscle?
- Is it possible to gain weight if you go in and out of ketosis?
- Are exogenous ketone supplements necessary or helpful to get back into ketosis after a day with too many carbs, specifically for people who have only been strict keto for a month or so?
- Do exogenous ketones really put you into ketosis faster?
- What are some examples of when it would be okay to take exogenous ketones?
- What can you do to rev up your metabolism?
- If you are low-carbohydrate for a period of time, which would be constituted as long-term for everybody, you could potentially get into what’s called physiological insulin resistance. It is a completely normal biological reaction when we have a lack of glucose in our bodies.
- When something has the word physiological in front of it, you can think of it as what your body is naturally going to do to stay in a state of homeostasis, which is a nice, balanced, healthy state. And sometimes that means they have these tendencies that may seem bad but in reality, will actually help protect us.
- There is a piece of our brain that will always be dependent on glucose. And in order for your body to make sure that that glucose is readily available for that high need, it will put you in a state of insulin resistance so that the glucose isn’t taken by the muscles, which isn’t as high of a need.
- You are insulin resistant when your cells in the muscle, fat, and liver stop responding well to insulin and so they can’t really get in glucose.
- 26% body fat, if you are testing it in a way that is accurate, is a really great spot for a female to be. That is often what a female would need in body fat in order to stay healthy and keep her hormones balanced and her adrenals in check.
- Going in and out of ketosis every once in a while doesn’t mean your body forgets how to burn fat.
- It’s a total brain buster to teach your brain that you need to eat more food in order to lose weight, but it really, truly does work. It just takes a long time.
- If you have a sluggish metabolism, the last thing that you should be doing is fasting.
- Keep physiological insulin resistance from happening by not staying sedentary and by moving and working out.
- Use all of the muscle mass that you have and start building more through lifting weights.
- If you have a higher-carb day while in your keto lifestyle, then do the work to get your body back into a ketogenic state instead of just taking exogenous ketones.
- Eat more foods that are good, high-quality, real-foods with plenty of nutrients.
- Test lab tests somewhat regularly.
I will be in Portland on the first week of March for the Nutritional Therapy Association (NTA) Annual Conference. So if you are going to the conference, I hope to be able to meet you there! And even if you’re not going to the conference, I hope you can come to Downtown Portland for the Keto for Women Meetup on Friday, March 1st. You can find all the information about that over on www.shawnmynar.com/events and make sure to RSVP!!
The following weekend, I will be in L.A. So if you are in L.A., come hang out with me at the new Osso Good Bone Broth storefront on Saturday, March 9th. Again, you can go to www.shawnmynar.com/events for all the information you need as well as reserve your spot!
As always, if you have any questions, be on the lookout for the next Keto Hot Seat call for questions on Facebook and Instagram.
“We should, as humans, be able to go from a sugar-burning state to a fat-burning state. And that’s what we’re teaching our bodies how to do with this ketogenic lifestyle.”
“That’s the beauty about ketosis and being on a keto diet or in a keto lifestyle is that you are doing some amazing healing things for your body. And you’re basically “cheating” if you’re just going to take some exogenous ketones to show up as having ketones in your blood.”
- Rasa Koffee – Use the coupon code keto4women and get 20% off your order.
- ButcherBox – For the month of February, they’re giving away free bacon, free steak, plus $10 off to all the new customers.
More from Shawn Mynar:
The advice and opinions in The Keto For Women show are intended for informational purposes only and should not be taken as medical care or advice. Please always consult your medical professional for your specific health concerns.