Are you someone who’s dealing with symptoms of anxiety or depression or other mental health issues and not really knowing what to do, where to turn, or what steps to take? A renowned expert in the ketogenic diet, Ali Miller talks about how we can use the keto lifestyle to heal our anxiety.
Topics Discussed in this Episode:
- Ali’s health story and how she got into functional medicine
- The anti-nutrients in plants and how you can potentially be doing some damage to yourself when you’re doing a plant-based keto or plant-based paleo diet
- Dealing with and managing anxiety
- The link between anxiety and HPA dysregulation
- Tips to start shifting into a more natural approach to getting anxiety under control
- Why protein is so important
- How to enhance leptin
- The role of supplements in fighting anxiety
- Which supplements are not recommended and why
- Keto as a component of the anti-anxiety diet
- What ‘real food’ means
- There’s a lot that can be changed and learned just by giving yourself some tips for how to cook food, especially vegetables.
- You can’t absorb the vitamin K of your leafy greens if you don’t have fat. And you can’t absorb ion and minerals if you don’t have acid.
- If anxiety isn’t managed, we can actually have leaky gut. And literally, stress alone drills holes into our gut lining.
- Anxiety is the root cause even behind things like inflammation because it perpetuates imbalance in the body.
- When we address anxiety, we end up optimizing other areas that seem unrelated.
- When we’re talking about the therapeutic application of keto and really using keto as a medicine or as a tool with the whole foods approach, we get these unique bioflavonoids when we liberalize to a whole foods perspective that we otherwise wouldn’t have.
- Get into different methods of cooking.
- Manage your stress and anxiety.
- Check if you’re getting enough protein and make sure that you get ample amounts of it in your diet.
- Make sure that you’re getting enough fat.
- Layer on adaptogens in your diet.
- Supplement with L-theanine as well as magnesium glycinate.
As always, if you have any questions, be on the lookout for the next Keto Hot Seat call for questions on Facebook and Instagram. Make sure your questions are short, general, and that you haven’t heard the answer to them before.
I would absolutely love to hear what you’re thinking of the show over on iTunes. So if you haven’t already, head over there and leave us a rating and a review.
“Everyone, I truly believe, is biochemically unique. I don’t believe that there’s a perfect diet for everyone. What we need for our systems is going to ebb and flow with life cycle, with stress levels, with seasons.”
“Doctrine creates disconnect… There’s not this dogma that creates and manifest change. It’s a [constantly] evolving process. And when we connect with our body as the most important database, I think that’s when we start to make strides of really whole body health care.”
Resources mentioned in the show:
- The Anti-Anxiety Diet by Ali Miller
- Naturally Nourished: Food-As-Medicine for Optimal Health by Ali Miller
- Calm and Clear Dietary Supplement
- Rasa Koffee – Use the coupon code keto4women and get 20% off your order.
- ButcherBox – For the month of January, they’re giving away 2 lbs of wild Alaskan salmon to every new member who signs up in their first box. Head to Butcherbox.com/KFW
More from Ali Miller:
Ali’s Instagram (@alimillerrd)
More from Shawn Mynar:
The Fat Burning Female Project
The Fat Burning Female Self-Study
Precision Xtra Blood Ketone Meter
Precision Xtra Blood Ketone Test Strips
The advice and opinions in The Keto For Women show are intended for informational purposes only and should not be taken as medical care or advice. Please always consult your medical professional for your specific health concerns.