Have you been stressing about toxins? In this episode of the Keto Hot Seat, we talk all about toxins and answer all your questions about toxicity. Find out how you can create non-toxic environments and how to deal with toxic people.
Topics Discussed in this Episode:
- The most common toxins and chemicals that are found in the products that we use.
- Which products are the most important to switch first
- Affordable natural care products
- The best products for non-toxic cooking and food storage
- To stress or not to stress about the toxicity of everything
- The best way to remove mold from your house
- The use of plastic
- The natural way to get rid of mosquitoes
- Good brands for dish and laundry soap
- How to create non-toxic environments
- How to deal with toxic culture and toxic people
The most common toxins found in the products we use:
- Parabens are widely used as preservatives in cosmetics and may disrupt the endocrine system and cause reproductive and developmental disorders.
- Phthalates damage the male reproductive system and have been linked to an increased risk of breast cancer, early breast development in girls, and reproductive birth defects in both males and females.
- Fragrance indicates a chemical mixture that may contain phthalates.
- Triclosan affects thyroid function and the proper functioning of reproductive hormones.
- Vitamin A compounds (retinyl palmitate, retinyl acetate, and retinol) are not safe for use on skin. Studies show that when these compounds are applied to sun-exposed skin, they can increase skin sensitivity, and sunlight breaks down vitamin A to produce toxic free radicals that can damage DNA.
- Sodium laureth sulfate (SLS), an additive that allows cleaning products to foam, has been linked to cancer, neurotoxicity, organ toxicity, skin irritation, and endocrine disruption.
- Synthetic colors are suspected to be human carcinogens, skin irritants, and are linked to ADHD in children.
- Sunscreen chemicals are endocrine disruptors and are believed to be easily absorbed into the body. They may also cause cellular damage and cancer.
Your skin is the largest, most absorbent organ you have, so you really have to think about what you’re applying on your skin.
Even though something may be non-toxic or natural or good for you, it doesn’t mean your body is going to like it. Especially things with essential oils. Essential oils can be very irritating to the skin.
Head to my blog post on this topic to get a list of my favorite brands and products for affordable non-toxic skincare!
- Clean up your food. Choose organic and stay away from processed foods.
- Invest in a really good water filter or water purifier.
- Go through everything in your bathroom and check the labels. Have more care and concern about the ingredients of the stuff that touch your skin on a daily basis.
- Consider what you use in your laundry, as well as your cleaning products.
- Clean up your life. Get rid of the toxic people.
- Try making your own natural personal care products.
- Be wary of non-stick cookware items.
- Make your own natural cleaning products
- Washing raw meat off cutting boards and knives.
- How you can create non-toxic environments
Hop on over to my website and get three different opportunities to get the keto guide that suits you best. Whether you’re new to keto, you’re in the middle of trying to get keto, or you’re beyond keto, I’ve got something special prepared for whichever stage you’re at in your keto journey.
“There’s no way any of us are not going to come in contact with chemicals and toxins and things that could be potentially harmful to our bodies and our health… So I think making some small changes can do some really good, big things to improve your health and longevity.”
“For anyone that has toxic people in their lives… the more you can stay away, the better.”
Resources mentioned in the show
- BLOG POST: Shawn’s Favorite Affordable Skincare Products
- EWG’s Healthy Living App
- Think Dirty App
- ButcherBox – Get 6 burger patties for FREE in every single box you get through October 15, 2019.
- Green Chef – Get $25 off your first three boxes.
More from Shawn Mynar:
The advice and opinions in The Keto For Women show are intended for informational purposes only and should not be taken as medical care or advice. Please always consult your medical professional for your specific health concerns.