Guess what I ate today?…Lamb tongue! Can you believe it?! I am SO not normally that adventurous. But, I was with my fellow NTP (Nutritional Therapy Practitioner) friends, and as soon as one person ordered it, I was intrigued and decided to give it a try! I am NOT good at eating organ meats. I have to get my fill with frozen raw liver pills so I don’t have to actually taste anything. But, throughout my journey in the Paleo world, I have also gotten a little more ballsy when it comes to trying new foods, especially when I see a very nutrient-dense organ meat on an actual restaurant menu AND my fellow nutrient-seeking friends ordering it!
I’ve been looking forward to this weekend for months. For those of you that have been following me for awhile, you know HOW MUCH FUN I had during my workshop weekends in Austin while completing the NTP program. I enjoyed it so much that I couldn’t wait to go back into the classroom, but this time as a group leader for the first ever Denver class. I built such a great community and made so many forever friends in my Austin class, but really felt like I was missing the LOCAL piece of it all. So now, I get to meet a whole new group of like-minded individuals that will be in my neighborhood. Not only that, but I get to go through the program again on the other side of the curriculum and help others learned the invaluable tools that I now have in my practice.
These workshop weekends are no joke. There’s a ton of learning and practicing involved. I remember the evenings of my workshops being too exhausted to even explore the awesome city of Austin! Because of this energy demand, I just had to make a double batch of these Chocolate Mint Balls to bring to class for everyone. These little fat bombs are SO great for energy and mental focus. But they are also SO delicious and seem like a treat, although they are actually very low in sugar and will not cause the dreaded blood sugar spike.
Because it is also December, it must be mentioned that these are SUCH great holiday treats. I mean…chocolate AND mint just screams Christmas! Give them a try and let me know what your family thinks!
Keto Chocolate Peppermint Balls
- 3 cups shredded unsweetened coconut coconut manna would also work!
- 1/2 cup coconut oil melted
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup cacao powder sub carob powder for AIP
- 3 tbsp honey OR 8-12 drops organic liquid stevia extract
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs optional
- Pinch salt
Outer Coating Ingredients
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- Place all ingredients for balls except cacao nibs in a food processor.
- Process for several minutes until well combined and dough-like.
- Add cacao nibs by gently mixing in with a spoon.
- Roll dough into approximately 1" balls. It may be helpful to put dough into refrigerator for about 10 minutes to stiffen it up.
- 5. Once balls are formed, roll them through the outer coating mixture so they are evenly coated.
To make them look a little fancy, alter the ratio of coconut to cacao in the coating mixture so they all have a slightly different color.