We have some great questions to get to, once again, in this Keto Hot Seat episode! It’s stuff that you guys are wondering and need to know about in order to become the healthiest versions of yourself. So let’s dive in!
Topics Discussed in this Episode:
- How do you eat loads of low-carb vegetables and still stay keto?
- Once fat-adapted, should we try to stay in ketosis 24/7, 365 days a year?
- Do we really need fiber? What if you’re someone who gets digestive distress when you eat a lot of fiber?
- What if you’ve started to train more, lifting weights, and you find it hard to stay in ketosis because you’re also eating more? How do you restart your eating and get back in ketosis and stay there?
- What should you do when your LDL cholesterol increases over 300 on keto?
- What are some tips for nursing moms on keto?
- What is cyclical keto? How can you avoid muscle loss while following this? What is a typical day of eating and timing look like?
- Possible digestive reflux issues aside, if you’re feeling hungry before bed, will eating something small prevent growth hormone from being released when it’s supposed to during sleep?
- Can HGH treatment help with hormone balance on a keto diet? What are its benefits?
- For most people, it is a lot more vegetables than you think before you get kicked out of ketosis.
- If you are working on building a keto lifestyle and you want to do this for a while, then it may be okay for you to come out of ketosis now and then for that lifestyle piece and make this feel like it’s something that you could do for the long term.
- If you go out of ketosis and start producing that level of ketones that you’re used to for a day or a couple of days, or even weeks, that doesn’t mean that you’re not fat-adapted anymore. You can still be fat-adapted and in that metabolic flexibility whether you’re in ketosis or not.
- Fiber can definitely help a lot of digestive issues, but it can also either help or worsen constipation or diarrhea. There is a fine line for everybody as we all have our “fiber sweet spot”.
- Cholesterol and even LDL cholesterol isn’t the end all, be all to determine our cardiovascular health.
- A traditional cyclical keto diet is five days of low-carb keto and two days of high-carb not-at-all keto.
- Going to bed hungry can disrupt your sleep.
- The dawn effect is basically your liver dumping sugar into your blood early in the morning. This happens for the body’s glucose-dependent functions.
- Gauge your threshold and find those vegetables that you feel good eating, are nutrient-dense, and don’t push you out of ketosis or don’t cause your blood sugar to spike to a level that gets you out of fat-burning mode.
- Try to find your “fiber sweet spot.”
- When testing for ketones, make sure you do it far enough away from your workouts (about 3 to 4 hours later).
- Consider getting tested what genotype (APOE) you are.
- Get a good variety of fats in your diet every single day.
Watch out for my upcoming webinar on The 9 Reasons Why Your Diet Isn’t Working. It will be on Friday, December 28 at 12 noon, Mountain Standard Time. Be on the lookout for the enrollment to get the link to join the webinar live or to get the recording afterwards.
The new and updated Fat Burning Female Project is coming up in January! The one-day enrollment will be on New Year’s Day, January 1, 2019, and classes will officially start on January 7. So if you are wanting to join and start 2019 on the right track, make sure to mark those dates in your calendar!
As always, if you have any questions, be on the lookout for the next Keto Hot Seat call for questions on Facebook and Instagram. Make sure your questions are short, general, and that you haven’t heard the answer to them before.
“We all have different thresholds, and we all have different vegetables and different foods and different tolerances. So this is where it becomes YOUR version of keto, finding out what works for YOU.”
“If you’re not even providing the needs for your body to survive, you’re definitely also not providing the needs for you to gain anything from [your] workouts.”
Resources mentioned in the show:
Podcast episode mentioned in the show that you shouldn’t miss:
- How long should YOU do keto? — #075
- Breaking Down Cholesterol, Insulin, and Dangerous Fats with Dr. Trudi Deakin — #034
- Fat Fuel Company – Use the coupon code keto4women and get 20% off your order at
- Artisana Organics – Use the coupon code keto4women and get 15% off your first order.
More from Shawn Mynar:
The advice and opinions in The Keto For Women show are intended for informational purposes only and should not be taken as medical care or advice. Please always consult your medical professional for your specific health concerns.