One question I receive often from ladies adopting a keto lifestyle is how to eat enough healthy fats to get into ketosis. I get it. It can seem like a lot of dietary fat to try to include, especially for those of us that lived through the fat-free era (*eye roll*).
I have two solutions to this problem. First, make sure to include a fat-based sauce, dressing, or mayo at all of your meals, like my famous dairy-free ranch dressing. As soon as I started putting this on everything, I had no problems getting my fats in. Second, make your keto snacks and treats all high in healthy fats, not just low in carbs! Not only does this leave you super satisfied until your next meal, but you’ll also be keeping your high-fat status in the tastiest of ways.
THE HIGH-FAT SNACK SOLUTION
My absolute favorite solution for a high-fat keto snack is to make and store a bunch of little nutrient-dense bites like these Coco-Nutty Bites. This recipe was created by my friend and fellow Nutritional Therapy Practitioner, Ashley Castle who has a knack for creating delicious, yet super simple recipes. I (very nicely) asked Ashley to share this recipe here so you would have yet another easy way to increase your healthy fat intake while having a fun, bite-sized snack at the ready.
If there’s one thing we want our high-fat keto snacks to be, it’s convenient! Make a batch of these Coco-Nutty bites and store them in the freezer so you’re prepared the next time you need a little something special (and full of healthy fats). Not to mention, they are easily packable and travelable! Take them to work for your midday break, pack them along on your next road trip, or put them in your kid’s lunchbox. (Don’t worry, they’re kid-approved!) It’s the ultimate solution.
KETO COCO-NUTTY BITES
Chocolate, nut butter, coconut, oh my! Are you ready to fall in love with your next go-to keto-friendly, high-fat snack?! Besides being delicious and satisfying, these snack bites are also completely customizable. Use what you have in the pantry for this batch, then mix it up next time for a completely different flavor. You can’t go wrong!
Keto Coco-Nutty Bites
- Food Processor
- 1 1/2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup nut or seed butter peanut, almond, sunflower, cashew
- 2 scoops collagen protein
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- pinch sea salt
- 1/4 cup nuts or seeds of choice sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, almonds, walnuts, pecans, etc
- 2 dates optional for consistency and a tiny bit of sweetness
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate 85% or higher
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a food processor, add coconut, nut or seed butter, coconut oil, coconut flour, sea salt, and collagen. Process until completely smooth (you’ll still have some texture from the coconut).
- Add nuts or seeds and (optional) dates, and continue to process until well-combined.
- Refrigerate mixture for 10-15 minutes, then scoop into balls (a small cookie or melon scoop is perfect for this) and arrange on parchment. Place in freezer for 5-10 minutes.
- If using chocolate, melt slowly with the coconut oil (either in the microwave or on the stovetop until smooth and fully incorporated. Remove bites from freezer and dip partially into chocolate, freezing again to set.
Ashley Castle is a certified Nutritional Therapy Practitioner and Restorative Wellness Practitioner. She specializes in empowering people to get in the kitchen and fuel their health with whole, real food, while also addressing the importance of a loving, healthy mindset. Through her fast and easy recipes and love for encouraging and motivating others toward better health, sheâ€™s here to inspire you to live your healthiest lifeâ€”both in and out of the kitchen. When sheâ€™s not taking pictures of her food, you can find her frequenting local quirky coffee shops, recording and editing her podcast, Nutrition Unscripted, snuggling her sweet mauxie dog Loca, and enjoying hikes in the luxurious Colorado mountain air. Meet Ashley and get ready to maximize your wellness journey over on Instagram @ashley.castle.nutrition and at ashleycastlenutrition.com.